Thursday, October 7, 2010

I feel so accomplished!

This semester has been super BUSY! Not hard, just time consuming, so I decided that I would add to my busy by re-upholstering my hideous chair and ottoman (like the empire? Not sure) that I bought a year ago from the DI. It's very comfy, but had a slight stink of the 70's to it..... and I'm not just talking about the upholstery. It smelled as I imagined the 70's did- cigarettes, dust, old people, and hippies.

I think that you call can smell it.....just imagine.

Here I am tearing it apart. I found a really nice pen, an old cigarette, a dime and a whole lot of velvet dust. I had no idea that velvet created dust but it does and it's weird. I kept the dime and pen.

Here I am just plugging away! I did the ottoman first then attacked the cushion and sides. Easiest to hardest.


The only sewing I had to do was on the front where the sides connected. It surprisingly turned out well. Not sure why I did all of this in a dress that day. Bless the staple gun! My hand was SUPER sore from all the stapling and now my carpet, despite vacuuming, still has staples everywhere.
You can see the velvet dust in front of the chair. So weird. So smelly. Didn't it turn out so cute???
Here it is with the ottoman and yes, it does rule just like the empire. I am not going to lie, I am a little afraid to sit in it because it might all completely fall apart. I did this with NO instruction at all and just did what I could. Yes, I must say, I am awesome.

6 comments:

  1. hahaha! It's super darling. I've been wanting to pick up that hobby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabric. Glad I kind of helped pick it out. The chair looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are you bringing it over to my house? I am so excited. It will look great with my couch! Fabulous work Syd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Syd thats amazing! Love it!! I want to recover an old chair too..you can teach me! :) Ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, it looks awesome! I can't believe you did that. nice work!

    ReplyDelete