Tuesday, April 26, 2011

This is serious business people

No, but really. Usually when I say I am being serious, I am not being serious, but this time I am serious....

So, there are some big changes coming my way. I graduate! I walk a week from Thursday. I cannot believe that it has been 2 years. I have learned so much and grown as a therapist (it only added to my natural awesomeness in telling people the right way to do things....) and met some incredible people who have shaped my career.

The most important stuff that I have learned have been about myself. What people don't really know is that a 2 year Master's in Social Work program is actually a 2 year program where you examine every single thing that you yourself do, why you do it, and how you are a total screw up and need to do your own work in order to help others. I never understood why I was so stressed all the time and why this has been the hardest 2 years because the school work really wasn't that hard!!! I am coming out of a master's program with better grades than I have ever had in my life (and I have always gotten really good grades, so I have just improved on my own awesomeness), but seriously! I am EXHAUSTED! I just did some serious therapy on myself for the past 2 years. When I am doing therapy, sometimes it is necessary to kind of knock people on the side of the head and show them what they are doing wrong in certain situations, but you do it in such a nice way where they come to it on their own that they leave your office feeling so good and motivated, but that is NOT the way it goes when you are doing your own therapy. Its just a bunch of hard knocks and then you trying to figure out what to do next......

So, what am I doing next, you ask? I am moving in with my parents. I haven't been without a job or without school since I was 15. I have nothing on my calendar except spending a whole 10 days withe the love of my life, Cal (he's my 19 month old cousin's son) and going to dinner with the wonderful ladies that I served with in the stake relief society presidency at BYU. I will also be studying for my licensing exam, taking it, and applying for jobs. After that? Who knows.

I really feel that the place for me is Boston right now. When I got home from my mission, I really didn't know what I was going to do, so I studied English. I have always loved literature and writing, but apparently it wasn't for me. Then one of my mission companions/friend since I was 12 said to me "Syd, why aren't you a social worker? You have always been meant to do that." I changed my major the next day. Everything fell into place from there and that is why I am NOT at all worried about the next step/job/place to live in my life. God has something out there for me (and hopefully he's over 6 feet tall) and I am just content doing what I need to be doing to get there. I will find the job that is right for me and I will pass my exam. This is the year of the Sydney, people. The year of the Sydney. Just remember that.

1 comment:

  1. Will you be my therapist. Notice that this is not a question.

    ReplyDelete